From:
"g.Computer9f" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2008 16:34:50 -0400
XP Home should be MORE than fine for them - in fact, probably better - it has fewer kinks.    XP Home will "expire" no sooner than XP Pro.   The "expire" only means that MS will no longer offer technical support - how much technical support are you getting from M$ NOW??

There are a few (IMO very few) patches that NEED to be installed over SP2 (but I use hardware and software firewalls, DEP and good anti-virus & spywareblaster, and I don't do stupid things like download "free" smiley faces, fonts etc or visit porn sites & such.  The most important to me are:  XP-KB912919x86-ENU.exe (M$ intentionally allowed code to be executed within metafiles) - OR just run Steve Gibson's "mousetrap" -,  Windows Imaging Component, and (if you can still get this hotfix - M$ sends you a password that is good for a few days to download it in a zip file and unzip it (and SAVE it!) Q329183_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe  (or Q329183 in 90273_ENU-i386_zip.exe).  If M$ has withdrawn it, trying to push SP3, I can send it to you, if you like.  This latter hotfix corrects the following BUG:

When you try to rename a folder on an NTFS file system partition in Microsoft Windows XP, you may receive an error message that is similar to the following:

"Cannot rename foldername: Access is denied.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

Any patches, updates, hotfixes you decide to install, SAVE them on their disk or a DVD so they will have them later in case M$ decides to be a prick about pushing SP3 on users (besides pushing EVERY prior M$ "update" (even those you have specifically rejected), SP3 pretty much just loads some VISTA spyware onto SP2).

Good luck.  Things should not be this complicated!!  I hope to be on Linux in a couple of years.  Oh, I would definitely run Steve Gibson's tweaks, such as UnPlugNPray, ShootTheMessenger, MouseTrap, SocketToMe/SocketLock, DCOMbobulator (supposed to be fixed by M$, but you can run this just to check it).  You can run Gibson's LeakTest and ShieldsUp for internet vulnerability profiling.  All this is free and excellent!  http://www.grc.com/default.htm  and Select the "Freeware" button in the silver bar across the top.

There are, of course, piles of dangerous and unnecessary M$ "services" that should be disabled.  Gibson's tweaks get a few of the worst of them, but not all by any means.

Whether or not to save $ with OEM or spring for RETAIL (about double the cost) would depend on whether they will ever want to put that OS on a different computer.  They might also have a problem if they have to replace much hardware (mobo, drives, processor, videocard, etc.) and want to reinstall it, because the activation of OEM is tied to a "hash" of all the hardware.   MS might have no problem giving them more activations by phone for an OEM, but you never know and I just did not want to be at M$'s "tender mercies."   Put a separate NIC card in (very cheap) whether they need it or not because it counts as a large (weighted) percentage of the hardware hash number (and can even be moved to another PC).  Good Luck.

AnnaSummers