From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:42:42 -0500
Because my old grounded-grid sweep-tube amplifier doesn't present a good
50-ohm match at its input, I will run an auto-tune on the current antenna if
I'm running barefoot, or run an auto-tune on the linear amplifier if I am
going to be using that.  That's in addition to reducing the power from 100
watts to about 50 when driving the linear.  I don't use any sort of antenna
tuner between the output of the linear amplifier and the antenna.  In
general, your transceiver will see a different load when comparing the
antenna (barefoot operation) to the linear amplifier's input.  So for
maximum power transfer, you may want to readjust the transceiver's tuner
between the two conditions on a particular frequency.  The tuner in the
FT-950 is only rated for 3:1 SWR maximum, but I've seen it work into some
SWR's that are higher than that.

I'm not sure what Maurice is talking about, although if you don't get a good
match between your rig and an antenna, your signal is going to be quite weak
and noisy.

73,
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls