From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2010 05:47:07 -0400

Tom,

I didn't chime in before on the subject, but here's my 2 cents.   I use
something you can pick up at the electrical department of Homo  or any
electrical supply.   Goes by various names:  splicing tape, silicone
tape, cold fusion tape,  and probably a few more.   It's the same width
as a roll of electrical tape, but much thicker.    Some has a thin mylar
backer, newer stuff is backerless.

A roll is about 4 bucks but will last a long time.   Cut about a foot
off the roll and then grab each end and stretch it to twice it's
original length.  This activates it.   If it has the mylar backer, peel
it off and toss it away.  The  activated tape is not sticky to the
touch, but   will adhere to whatever you apply it to and fuse to itself
as you wrap it around the connection.   Squeeze it with your hand to
mold it  to the connector  and to make it adhere and fuse.    Cover with
a layer or 2 of cheap electrical tape and finish with a layer or 2    of
Scotch  Super 33 or 88. The Scotch (3M) is a few bucks a roll,  but as
someone mentioned before, it's what you want exposed to the elements and
by using it only for the final wrap, it   will last a long time.

Years from now when your widow is getting rid of your junk, the
connectors will be bright and shiny when the tape is cut y and easily
peeled off.

73 and see you in the PA QSO party next month,
Steve KW3A

iginal Message -----