BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bruce Marcham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2012 14:05:56 +0000
We have a situation where I'm told they want to try "concrete passivation." We have rebar close to the surface on vertical wall panels on one of our buildings and I gather they are concerned about spalling (or more spalling) of the concrete if the rebar rusts (or continues to rust).

To me it sounds like snake oil. Can you really get enough chemical into the concrete to neutralize it enough to stop corrosion that is already taking place? I could see it if you put it in the mix when the building is built but this is 45 years later.

Do any of you have experience with this sort of thing?

A structural engineer friend of mine suggested that Grace makes a DCI admixture for the concrete mix during construction.

http://www.na.graceconstruction.com/product.cfm?mode=c&id=4&did=1

Or this could be a case of the engineer managing the project being sent on a snipe hunt by the contractor or architects...

Bruce