From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 2010 21:50:28 -0600
yeh, when you can get an old synthesized kenwood or icom mobile radio for 40
or 50 bucks, then what is the point in spending that much on
crystals...unless your planning on using the commercial radio in a repeater
or something.
boat anchors, and even then, not much use for that either.
I had about 4 or 5 top of the line, in the 70's, commercial rigs, all single
or dual channel, and I just chucked them when I moved...ripped the mike off
for parts and maybe a few chassis components or something, but they were
more work and money than they were worth just for a back up or secondary
radio.
I had a marconi single channel VHF radio that was kind of cool.
it had some sort of tuning cavity right in side it to give it better
stability on what ever frequency you had for it.
It was a huge thing...the bracket for it actually fits my ts2000 perfectly.
I kept the bracket, a nice piece of custom made aluminum in case I ever have
the opportunity or need to mount my 2000 somewhere.
they want way too much for a mobile mounting bracket for that thing.

73
Colin, V A6BKX