From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 2010 13:25:22 -0600
you got it.  We're all a bunch of unfriendly, rude, serious, humorless
bastards that care nothing for our fellow man and fellow hams.
Didn't you find that in your study materials?  there is a whole section in
the question pool dealing with how to be rude, unfriendly, serious,
humorless, bastard like.  It must make up about 90 per cent of the exam at
least.
There are also a couple questions on every exam dealing with how to deal
with people who can't take a joke and who are, in themselves, somewhat rude,
humorless and unfriendly to others trying to have a bit of fun.
I believe you were indeed mistaken with regard to how ham operators are
supposed to behave.
After all, they are indeed only human and like to have a good laugh,
sometimes at the expense of others.  It's how we humans work.  If we can't
laugh at ourselves and others, what can we laugh at?  Life is too short and
far too fraught with negative circumstances not to laugh when we can.
And then, there are those who feel they must take a position of "laugh cop"
and decide who and what we may find amusing and entertaining.
Being a new ham, you have obviously not sat listening to 75 meters late on a
friday night.  When the old fellas are sitting around, rag chewing, perhaps
having a glass or two of their favorite adult beverage.  We all poke fun at
each other, that's part of being a "ham". we are "hams" in the real
idiosyncratic sense of the word.
We're not professional radio operators, we are "amateur" radio operators.
Remember that, "amateur".  Look it up in the dictionary and then apply it to
the context of "amateur radio".  It's what we are.

but, if you find us all so unfriendly and rude and ignorant, and you don't
like our behavior, find something else to occupy your precious time.  Like
perhaps grave digging, or funeral home director, or maybe that grouchy old
neighborhood Sod who yells at the kids who walk on his lawn.

73
Colin, V A6BKX