BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2012 06:23:25 -0400
From:
Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
7BIT
On 5/4/2012 10:18 AM, Ilene R. Tyler wrote:
> Ken can be Shaman any day, but even better is that he is my "moderator" at APT-PTN IN Charleston. Thank you, Ken!
Ilene,

You are welcome., for sure.

For those who do not know, and since the bag is out of the cat (which
took a great deal of shamanic meditation to accomplish as the bag was
ten times larger than the poor cat), Ilene's presentation concerns work
at the Fort Gratiot Light Station Tower in Port Huron, Michigan. What
particularly interests me is, "Within two weeks the paint began to flake
off the tower masonry! What happened?!! Everyone had been doing their
job superbly well and with great efficiency, making this a textbook case
of the collaborative process." It is rare in my experience at an APT
I/PTN co-conference (well, sort of more rare as there has not been an
APT/PTN co-conference per se, though PTN was born out of APT) that
presentations talk about failures, though I have seen a few (the grand
Swedish boat, Vasa that immediately sank comes to mind) and I encourage
a discussion of what happens when the undesired and unexpected occurs.

As I said to the young fellow yesterday that worked with me after I
demonstrated the need of two-half hitches in our process, it is not how
one ties a knot that is as important as how easily a properly tied knot
can be untied (eyes closed on a sinking dirigible and all that).
Unexpected events occur on projects and what I love best about a
collaborative process is the pathways by which team members work
together to obtain resolutions in the face of potential failure. I also
have personal experience, not my fault, with coating problems on the
Montauk Lighthouse. So, in short, I very much look forward to Ilene's
presentation.

> Exploring old buildings with many of you would be great fun; let's do that instead of coffee klatches. \
The coffee & bagel allows us to invite and spend time with folks who are
not necessarily in the practice or interest of exploring buildings. I
agree though that the walk-and-talk exploration of a building with
someone who has some intimacy with a structure is an incredibly
efficient manner of conveying knowledge. Mutual exploration and
discovery is even more fun. I also. on a structure where I have worked,
like the questions that come up that I never thought about or observed
when I was focused on a particular task and tried my best to not see
everything else. Lately I have considered that the ability to look
closely at anything, anything at all is a gift and a blessing.

][<en