From:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2012 20:23:21 -0500

6 people said Beano is not gluten free, but as usual, always read the label.

1 person said Beano is gluten free.  I have contact the company, but have
not heard back from them on the gluten free status.  Please read the label
carefully.  Some mentioned it contains barley.

5 Recommended Bean-zyme and all said it is gluten free. Bean-zyme which is
only available online.  Go  to www.bean-zyme.com. It  actually costs less
than Beano, and arrives in a few days.

Other Suggestions:

I just saw that CVS has their own brand, and it doesn't contain any gluten.

I don't know of a product, but putting a little fresh ginger in the beans
during cooking or heating will help alleviate gas.

not sure if you are making something to 'add' a 'beano product but dried
seaweed when cooking beans or adding some pineapple to chili/beans works
too.

I use gas-ex last time I checked it was gluten free- which your question is
now making me recheck of it still is

I recently bought Digestive Advantage by Schiff.  It says guaranteed
wheat/gluten free on the box.  The box says "upon initial use, it may take
7-14 days for you to feel the product working."  However, I found it worked
immediately when taking one capsule after the start of a gassy episode; this
was true on 2 different days that I needed something and tried it.  I bought
it at Walgreens; it was next to the Beano on the shelf.

There are a lot of herbs (called carminatives) that are very good at
relieving gas. Thyme is extremely good if you wanted to put a tablespoon in
a cup of boiling water and let it steep for a good ten minutes. You can use
a tea ball, reusable cotton tea bags, or just strain it. Summer savory is
also excellent. Really, any herb, like sage and rosemary, with that general
savory aroma happen to be really good at relieving gas and indigestion. Some
people drink peppermint tea for it, which helps me (and tastes yummy, but
it's not quite as effective as thyme, savory, etc). It is strange at first
to drink such a savory tea, but it's pleasant after you try it a few times,
maybe because of the association of making you feel so much better
(Pavlovian response?)

A quick Google showed me that fennel and anise are also recommended, and
they'd be tasty. In Indian restaurants, fennel seed is often left around in
bowls so you could suck and chew on them for this very reason.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/100690-herbs-rid-gas-bloating/