From:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2011 10:38:30 -0400

Is It Celiac or Something Else?

The best way to determine if you have either full-blown Celiac Disease or
gluten intolerance is a blood test that looks for specific antibodies. If
the blood test is positive, your physician will want to do a biopsy of the
small intestine to confirm the diagnosis. There are also genetic tests, but
I've found that the blood tests and biopsy are usually sufficient.

If you have no symptoms yourself, but have a first- or second-degree
relative -- child, parent, sibling, aunt, uncle or cousin -- who has been
diagnosed with Celiac Disease, it's possible that you may have the
symptom-free version. Even without symptoms, Celiac Disease damages the
intestinal tract and steals nutrients. Testing will tell you if you need to
avoid gluten to prevent more serious problems from developing.

The process of being tested for Celiac Disease is pretty straightforward,
but it takes the average adult an estimated 11 years of living with symptoms
before he or she is diagnosed. Oftentimes, because they either ignore the
warning signs or their doctor just isn’t aware of Celiac, and medical tests
are not ordered to detect it. You can click here to download a special
report
<http://content.eaglepub.com/?ddti4FwvCVQ5WBRPSIgtl2RXaHWquSMRd&http://signu
p.newportnaturalhealth.com/offers/offer.php?friend_form=1&acquisition_code=N
NH108&[log in to unmask]ℑ.x=181ℑ.y=21>  that walks you
through details of the process of being tested for Celiac Disease, and what
to do once you know your results -- including what you can eat and can’t
eat, how to shop in the grocery store and what to do when you eat out and
travel.

Wheat, Wheat Everywhere

Most Celiac patients I've worked with are very upset when I tell them they
need to completely eliminate wheat from their diets. So, I remind them that
nearly everyone these days is on some sort of special diet -- or should be.
Fortunately, there are quite a few gluten-free foods available today.

Beyond those products, though, you will have to play detective. Gluten often
goes incognito, hiding behind names like "hydrolyzed vegetable flavoring" or
"textured vegetable protein." That's why I recommend sticking to the outer
aisles of the supermarket, where naturally gluten-free produce and meat are
located. The inner aisles, which usually contain processed and prepared
foods, are much more likely to contain wheat or hidden gluten.

Keep an open mind about alternative grains, too. Most patients think rice is
their only complex carbohydrate option when products like quinoa, salba,
millet, amaranth and farrow are available in health food stores and online.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how tasty these grains are. And
there's a definite benefit to looking beyond rice for whole grains.
Researchers at New York's Celiac Disease Center found that patients who
consumed gluten-free grains made from products like quinoa improved their
overall nutrient intake.

Supplement Support for Celiac Disease

Multivitamins are a must for anyone with Celiac Disease or
gluten/wheat-related ailments. First, since the nutrient-absorbing villi are
not able to do their job, Celiac sufferers are normally deficient in
important nutrients. And ironically, many gluten-free foods have less
vitamins and fiber than standard fare. So a high-quality multivitamin should
be on the top of the list.

Other supplements should include any nutrients that show up as deficiencies
in the blood panel. For example, elements of the B vitamin complex, iron,
vitamin D and calcium are commonly depleted in individuals with Celiac
Disease.

Supplementing your diet with appropriate nutrients can make a dramatic
difference in health. B vitamins, for example, were found to protect
individuals with Celiac Disease against high levels of homocysteine, a
substance that is a risk factor for heart disease. Homocysteine tends to be
elevated in Celiac patients.

Please keep in mind that this is a very brief overview of Celiac Disease and
related conditions. For further reading on the symptoms of the disease and
what to do if you have it, download this free report now
<http://content.eaglepub.com/?ddti4FwvCVQ5WBRPSIgtl2RXaHWquSMRd&http://signu
p.newportnaturalhealth.com/offers/offer.php?friend_form=1&acquisition_code=N
NH108&[log in to unmask]ℑ.x=181ℑ.y=21> . There are also
some excellent books and a number of websites devoted to helping restore the
health of individuals with this disease. If you suspect you or a loved one
may be having problems with wheat and/or gluten, please get tested first and
do everything you can to steer clear of these substances. The last time I
saw Izzy, I was quite impressed by how much she'd grown. For a little girl
who wept when she was told pizza was off limits, she certainly didn't seem
to be missing it a few months later. "I feel happy inside, Doctor!" she
exclaimed during our office visit. "So I don't need pizza anymore!"

Thrive in Health & Wellness,

Leigh Erin Connealy, M.D.

RECIPE OF THE WEEK

Quinoa Avocado Salad
Makes four servings
Ingredients:
*	1 cup quinoa
*	1 3/4 cup water
*	1/2 cup red pepper, diced
*	2 scallions, sliced
*	1 cup cooked black beans
*	1/4 cup olive oil
*	3 tablespoons lime juice
*	1 teaspoon sea salt
*	1 ripe avocado
*	1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro

Directions:

Rinse quinoa and drain.

Warm a saute pan over medium heat. Add about half the rinsed quinoa and stir
occasionally until quinoa begins to 'pop' from the heat and turn slightly
brown. Remove the popped grains from the pan and set aside, then repeat the
process with the second half of the quinoa.

Place the browned quinoa in a sauce pan with water. Cover and bring to a
boil, reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off heat
and keep the quinoa covered for an additional 10 minutes, so all the water
is absorbed.

Remove quinoa from heat and fluff with fork. When quinoa is cool, add raw
peppers, scallions, beans and cilantro.

Combine olive oil, lime juice and salt. Toss with quinoa. Garnish with
sliced avocado.

*******
*******