From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2010 00:33:25 -0500

I've been coming to visit my kids in Daly City, CA for about 6 years, and the nearest place to go out to dinner is Boulevard Diner.  Every time I go there, I order plain steak....with no gorgonzola butter (the sauce it normally comes with...I don't like it), sauteed spinach and mushrooms (usually too salty), and potatoes...either roasted or mashed.  Yesterday, having been up at 4am on the East Coast, when our family went out to dinner at 8pm, I was exhausted and starving.

I explained to the waitress...my usual speech and she said I could have the potato wedges that it comes with. It told her that I've never been able to have them....that the oil was contaminated. She spoke with the chef and insisted that the oil is a dedicated fryer, even got the manager to confirm, but I requested the safer mashed, anyway (homemade). Darn it, the plate came out with the wedges and assurances from the manager. I kept insisting that it was someone in their own establishment that insisted in the past that I not order them. In further investigation, she found out that the fries and sweet potato fries that are made in the same fryer are coated with flour.

We had two tired toddlers with us. I wasn't about to let them cook it all over....And I didn't trust the chef to give me a fresh cut of meat and veggies. The waitress offered me a salad and I turned that down too. I said that this chef doesn't "get it". (We heard the manager and her explaining it to the chef....and they weren't getting through.) He was really upset that I rejected the contaminated steak.

Well, I'm not sure what we're going to do now. The kids get home too late to drive back into San Fran or down to the mall areas for chain restaurants with gf menus. I usually do all the cooking...but not the first and last night that we're there.

Aside from warning people against going to this facility, my reason for writing is to confirm that we have to stick to our guns....and just because we're told it's a dedicated fryer doesn't mean a glutened potato product isn't fried in it.

It got down to semantics. This manager and waitress happen to speak English. It's even harder when communicating with someone who doesn't speak English clearly.