From:
Kim Turet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kim Turet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:02:05 -0500

I am so thankful for this group!  So many of you took the time to share your experiences, thoughts and ideas!  I feel well armed with the information I need to plan the food portion of this trip for my daughter and to offer her the information she will need once she gets to Disney.  Of course, I will still worry, because that's what I do, but thanks to all of you, I feel confident that Disney can meet her gluten free needs!

Hope this helps all of you - it sure helped us!!

Thanks so much again to everyone!

Kim in PA
*Nearly everyone who responded (and A LOT of you responded) had glowingly positive experiences with eating at Disney (including the several of you who would like to move there just for the GF food!) :)

*Nearly everyone said it is necessary to talk to a manager to let them know you need a gluten free meal...sounds like no matter who you tell, the manager will come out and take over and make sure all is handled correctly.

*Many recommended eating at non-peak times...11:00 or 3:00 lunch, for example.

*Many recommended bring snacks into the park to fill in any gaps that might exist (power bars, small containers of peanut butter & crackers, etc.)

*Most recommended sending Disney an e-mail regarding the dietary needs (far in advance, if possible) as they will forward to you a form to fill out regarding your needs and tons of information about what gluten free foods are available and where to find them at each park.

*Several recommended not waiting in line to request a gluten free meal as the GF meal prep often takes 20-30 minutes from the time you order it - if you go up to the front first, then your meal might be almost ready by the time the rest of your party gets to the front of the line.

*Several were extremely suspicious of any airport food and suggested I send her with a separate backpack of GF food.

*One member actually delivers gluten free food and groceries in the Orlando area (How about we all encourage her to franchise! :)  )  glutenfreewannabe.com