From:
Ben Liberman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Dec 2011 09:12:53 -0600
At 10:11 PM -0600 12/27/11, Ben Liberman wrote:
>I'm looking for a review, if I can get one, before I try some...
>
>Quote from the web page at: http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/beef_cuts_and_prices.htm
>
>"Primal Ground Beef:  Ground beef mixed with organ meats.  Beef trim, beef liver trimmed, beef heart trimmed, beef spleen trimmed, beef kidneys.  Pretty ugly stuff for Cavemen."
>
>Thanks all,

My guess, from the responses is that no one here has tasted this yet.

I live in Chicago, and as local (within 500 miles) grass fed operations start to come up to speed, the local restaurant trade is starting to migrate to grass finished.  That would be 6 restaurants so far in a metro area of about 10 million (not including a few Argentine steak houses that may or may not get their meat from Argentina)

Not wanting to pay a 20-50% premium for grass finished at Whole Foods, I am quite happy to buy frozen meat from Texas, Missouri, New Zealand, Argentina, or anywhere else that it comes from.

My primary suppliers are Ted Slanker (http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/) and US Wellness (http://www.grasslandbeef.com/).

I expect that, in time, economy of scale will reduce production costs for local producers, and market costs for the consumer.  I do not expect to have any problem finding local sources at reasonable prices in another 5 to 10 years.