From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 May 2010 14:56:27 -0600
if the NFB and ACB become involved, it'll take years, and the politics will
drive many would be supporters of the fuller accessibility away from
perchasing or becoming involved in the process.
I wouldn't be overly surprised if the NFB were actually against something
like this because it makes something accessible to blind people, and much of
their mission relies on the concept that blind people do not need help and
if they do have devices that are more accessible, they suddenly are no
longer on a level and equal playing field with their sighted counterparts.
take the US currency issue as an example of this.
every developed country in the world has some way of determining one
denomination of currency, be it paper money or coin money, from
another...except the United states...and what is the biggest, most powerful
and influential blind persons advocacy organization doing? it is fighting
the supreme court of the land to try and keep money the way it is...that is,
so a blind person cannot tell weather they are holding a 1, 5, 10 or 20
dollar bill in their hand.
seems backwards to me.
73
Colin, V A6BKX