From:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:12:59 -0800

After reading the article that was posted by a very wise listmate, I agree
that we should read the fine print.

One batch of completely hydrolyzed wheat flour might be safe to consume
according to the referenced study, but if this flour is mass produced and
consumed by celiacs I am guessing there will be recalls. Some batches of
incompletely hydrolyzed wheat flour are bound to slip through. Incomplete
hydrolysis = villous atrophy (this study confirmed that two patients who ate
product made from extensively hydrolyzed wheat flour suffered damage to the
intestine). The referenced article reads and I quote,

"The doctors fermented wheat flour with sourdough lactobacilli and fungal
> proteases; this process decreases the concentration of gluten.

Decreases is the key word. Now let's consider the quote that I read in
almost every article that chose to run this story,

"Our findings support further research that explores therapies that could
> reduce the toxicity of gluten for celiac patients beyond the standard
> gluten-free diet."

I don't see how the addition of enzymes that may or may not completely
hydrolyze (chew up) the gluten protein can possibly reduce toxicity of
gluten beyond the standard gluten free diet (much less be considered a
therapy). Am I missing something?

According to the published study, even the "completely hydrolyzed" wheat
flour had a residual gluten concentration of 8 ppm.

Does anyone know if this hydrolyzed wheat flour is even used successfully in
baked goods? I am guessing that chewed up gluten would lose much of its
desirable baking properties. What is the advantage of using hydrolyzed wheat
flour over alternative gluten free flours? Hopefully our friends in the
field of food chemistry can enlighten us.

Again, here is the link to info about this study:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/214293.php

Megan