From:
Joyce Mandell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joyce Mandell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2011 09:46:12 -0500

Thank you to listserve members:

I received over 47 replies and I apologize if I could not respond to
each and everyone.

But here is a synopsis to the question if genetic testing is reliable:

Just a reminder that the situation is that my daughter was diagnosed
with celiac last July.  My 3 year old son has exact same symptoms
including failure to thrive but he tested negative on TTG and on gene
testing for DQ2 and DQ8.
Two people out of all the replies said that the gene test would be
reliable and he probably is sick due to other causes.  Most of the
others cited the unreliability of the test.  Four people told stories of
themselves or others who had celiac but negative gene marker.  Dr.
Fassano of GF Living Magazine stated that the gene is absent in up to 3%
of the celiac population and present in 30% of the general population.
2 people decided not to test because of this unreliability factor.  It's
not impossible to have celiac with a negative test.  Dr. Fassano
recommends biopsy.  1 person wrote about her daughter, age 9,  TTG and
gene testing negative but she was symptomatic and responded well to a
diet.  There is the possibility of gluten intolerance with same symptoms
and the gene test does not measure DQ1, DQ3 and DQ7. Go with your gut
was the general feel of the replies.  Don't trust the test.  Doctors
don't know everything.  Another person city that the sibling risk is
26.3%.  There was one suggestion to use Cyrexlabs since the standard
tests are not detailed enough.  One person suggested to do a colonoscopy
and upper endoscopy, put my son on a GF diet for 1 - 2 months to see if
it makes a difference.  Two people said that blood tests are not so
reliable at this young age and that "testing is worthless next to
mother's intuition."  2 people mentioned that Prometheus tests are not
100% reliable and that Enterolab is a good alternative.  One woman
suggested a full work-up at the May Clink which has a special protocol
for testing.  She also suggested U of Chicago with a special interest in
children.  Finally, one person said that there is no full proof test.
If daughter got better on GF diet, why not try for son?