BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 2011 13:22:43 -0700
I came away from watching several hours of live TV coverage during this
week's Vancouver "riot" with a feeling of admiration for the manner in which
the Vancouver Police coped with the situation.   From the beginning, it was
obvious that the thing was going to happen, no matter who won or lost the
game, and the police stance seemed to be to stand patiently and closely at
hand while the wild ones played out their personal wild games of window
smashing and torching some cars.   The police lines maintained a distance
but very slowly walked forward in a non-violent manner, gently herding the
crowds away to dispense outside of the downtown core, moving ahead only when
some particular violence was directed toward them from someone in the front
line of the populace.   I never saw anything that could have been called
police brutality.  Whoever got a baton to allow their arrest obviously
deserved it, and few were treated in that manner.   The stores had high
definition video cameras, so the not large numbers of looters are well
photographed, and the government agency that issues driver's licences is
making its face recognition software available to help identify anyone in
their photo files.   A number of rioters have already volunteered themselves
at police stations, knowing full well that they were well caught on camera.
Thousands of citizens appeared downtown the next morning with personal
garbage bags to just do something for the common good with no organization
driving it, just picking up glass and being a visible presence of another
sort as a way to protest the riotous civic display of a relatively small
number.

What really impressed me was the great crowd of thousands standing passively
by as mess was made, thousands of cell phone cameras raised to capture the
action.   It was as though the citizens did not think of themselves as
actually being there and being part of the riot.  Instead, they were living
life through their camera screens, detached from the reality, watching it
all as though at home watching something on TV.   Now, that was truly
disturbing!

cp in (passive) bc

PS:  Don't know Omer Arbel.  Sounds interesting.  All my architect friends
were active in the 1960s and '70s, some still alive.