From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2010 11:51:59 -0600
when one communicates clearly, in a concise and well developed language,
others who understand that language can get a far better understanding of
what that person is trying to say, along with how intelligent or wize that
person may be by the words used and the manner in which they are used.
So, clearly spoken, inflected english, using as many of the languages words,
idioms and different phrasing options as possible, will convey intelligence,
and confidence, and a command of communication.  One of the most important
things to the human race happens to be communication.
When that begins to break down through a miss use, or drastic alteration of
the language by sub groups of speakers, then the clear and concise
communication no longer exists.
Ebonics, while likely a serviceable and just passable dialect of english on
american streets and spoken by sub groups is a recognized dialect of
english, it fails to convey meaning very well, or have the ability to phrase
meanings in multiple ways.
It is similar to some of the dialects found in england...such as cockny
ryming speak.  An interesting, and sometimes entertaining dialect, but holy
useless for properly communicated meaning and intent to a wide variety of
english speakers.
So, while I agree ebonics, and modern dialects are a matter of course for
any language who's speakers vary as widely as english speakers do, and that
it should have various dialects, every language must also retain a certain
bench mark or standard.  Currently, what is considered to be american
english is a standard form of english, as well as "queens" english.  Those
will obviously change a little over time, but they will change on an
intelectual studied level, not bassed on lazy speak, or inaccurate
understanding of a words meaning or a phrases meaning.
Ebonics comes from lazy english speaking, as well as a misunderstanding of
commonly used words in the language, so they take on new and totally
different meanins from their original, and still accepted forms.  You can't
really develop a dialect that way...a dialect stems from a different usage
alright, but not a total bastardization of the language.
73
Colin, V A6BKX