From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2010 17:46:30 -0600
My wife and I recently went to web phones through her discounted Verizon
wireless services at the hospital where she works.  She got her phone, the
HTC Ozone, for 29 dollars and the second one, mine, was free.  We had to get
full internet access, $30 per month per phone, which includes insurance and
all, if we bought the smart phones.  This, at the moment, seems to be the
only current model of phone that Verizon has which works with the Mobile
Speak screen reader.  We both use Mobile Speak for our screen reader at $275
per phone.  Sandy started out using the software screen reader called TALKS
for $90 but it crashed and hung up and screwed up so many times, we soon
went to Mobile Speak instead.  I have been having a ball using it on the
web, keeping track of appointments through a very sophisticated calendar
appointment book, sending and receiving text messages and emailing directly
with the phone.  Another cool feature of the phone is the ability to record
a digital message, attach it to a person's email address, and they can hear
you talking your email instead of having to type it on the qwerty keyboard.
The keyboard is good for me because they are raised buttons but hunt and
peck typing is slow and it happens to be the only way you can enter
messages.  So a message this long, for example, would probably push you
right off the deep end and I don't have that much more hair to pull out.
You can also use voice recognition by programming it, or mapping commands,
to various keys using your own voice.  For example, once you map the date
and time key commands using your voice, you simply press a key and say,
"What is the time?" and it reads it off to you.  You could program "Phil
Scovell" into the voice system and it would dial my number for you.  so it
is quite amazingly versatile.  Mobile Speak, the screen reader, works on
dozens and dozens of phones, however, so there's no problem there.  I've had
very few problems with the software locking up and when it has happened,
I've been doing something I shouldn't have been fiddling with; like shutting
the entire speech system down by accidentally trying out what I thought was
a feature to make the phone vibrate.  Instead, it was a profile which turned
the phone into a phone for sighted people.  Dad gum if them there sighted
folks don't get mixed up with everything a blind feller tries to do, haha.
Anyhow, I know this is off topic but I figure it is worth mentioning on this
type of a list.

Phil.
WWW.RedWhiteAndBlue.ORG