BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:41:13 -0400
base64
From:
"Ilene R. Tyler" <[log in to unmask]>
If someone could now tell me why I used conventional, off-the-shelf white pine six years ago to my replace rotted column bases that were originally old-growth Michigan white pine, I'd like to know. Bad decision, as it turns out, as they are now rotting in the same way as the original wood, but after only six years.

Now my challenge is how best to stave off the rot. I'm thinking the gutter slope is part of the problem, allowing dripping onto the base. Worse, is that the pine was assembled in two parts and the abutting joint was glued, but is now separating and is the weak point of the assembly. I may try to attach a flashing cover, after consolidating the wood rot, to deflect most of the water and monitor the situation.

Maybe it's time to move...but not for another ten years, or so, as we really do love the house. Oh, well, live and learn! Or not, in this case. I knew better, but I went with what seemed logical and convenient at the time.

Quinn Evans Architects

Ilene R. Tyler

d 734 926 0407