BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 26 May 2010 16:01:58 -0500
From:
"Martin C. Tangora" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
One of my most vivid memories -- from decades ago --
is driving on Iowa 64 east to the Mississippi and crossing there
from Sabula to Savanna.  Coming from Nebraska (actually from L.A.)
I was struck by how green Iowa was (it was June), but as I got
further east, through Maquoketa (Robert A. Millikan's home town,
but I don't know that there is a Millikan historic site there),
it got strikingly wetter -- a sunny day, but gradually there were
more and more ponds and lakes.  The Father of Waters
was making his presence known.  Finally you get to Sabula,
and you are on some island causeways, the water is now
more than the land, and then you make a turn and you are
shooting up into the air on a high bridge, and there it is below,
the mighty Mississippi.  The bridge ends atop a cliff
on the Illinois side (Savanna).

(Of course the Mississippi is just getting started.
It has yet to take on the Illinois, the Missouri, the Ohio,
and all those southern rivers.)

I don't know if that would work its magic for you, but you could
drive down the Illinois side, I'd suggest Hwy 78 because it is
not too close to the great river, saving it for later; to Clinton, Iowa, where
you could check out the Louis Sullivan store; then, depending on
how much energy, time, & weather you had, you could choose
a route to Sabula and cross back to Illinois there.
(Iowa 64 links to Illinois 64.)

There is a Havencrest Castle in Savanna that looks interesting.

This whole excursion would be a half-day outing.

I assume you know about the Emmert ("Spring") House
in Mt. Carroll which Landmarks Illinois lists as
"still endangered."  It was on the statewide
Ten Most Endangered list in 2003.  The same year,
a local preservationist nominated Mt. Carroll's
brick streets to the Ten Most list, but they
didn't make the cut.  I don't know what's left of them.

http://landmarks.org

John Leeke wrote:
>The first two weeks of June I'll be in Mt. Carroll, IL, teaching a course at the Campbell Center on historic building maintenance with my colleague Bob Yapp. The sixth through the tenth I'll have some free some free time.
>
>The third week of August I'll be in Mobile, AL, talking at a workshop on disaster recover for historic buildings, then visiting friends in Montgomery and consulting on windows in Valley.
>
>The first first week in November I'm in Windsor, VT, leading a workshop on the Business Side for Preservation Tradespeople for the Preservation Education Institute.
>
>Let me know if you would like to meet up or if there are sights to see.
>
>John
>
>places to go
>promises to keep
>miles to go before I sleep