From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2010 07:36:30 -0700
Actually, the loss in db doesn't change with swr.  The big difference is
that if you have a high swr on ladder line, it can and does radiate and
become part of the antenna as it isn't shielded.  Although you don't
want swr on your feed line, if you stop and think about it, that is what
makes antennas radiate.  On a quarter wave each side of feed point, or a
half wave dipole, you have current high and voltage low ad the feed
point.  On the ends, it is just the opposite, low current and very high
rf voltage.  That is why you can put a burned out florescent bulb on the
end of the wire and it will light up on voice peaks.

73
Butch Bussen
wa0vjr
open Node 3148