From:
Danny Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2010 13:22:28 -0400
Hi All, from todays' HFpack reflecter,/dedicated to portable HF operation discussions, came the following quoted in part.  HTH somebody.  Danny Dyer, Wb4idu.
"2c. Re: Motel/Hotel  portable HF antenna  suggestions
    Posted by: "Charles Preston"
    Date: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:06 pm ((PDT))

I like to take a Buddipole kit when possible, since it is versatile.  Sometimes my luggage packing won't allow room for Buddipole parts, or the window
won't open wide enough.  Sometimes I find that a window will open about 2 inches, but there's a screen.  Small coax and 100 pound fishing line can feed
and support the end of an End-Fedz antenna going to a handy tree past the edge of the screen.  An end fed antenna is not too noticeable at some motels,
and doesn't require much coax to feed it.

I have used a Buddipole dipole inside a hotel room when the window didn't open at all, but the combination of low transmitting power (5 Watts in my case),
electrical noise from the hotel, low point in the sunspot cycle, and a small, inside HF antenna is going to make contacts difficult.

I have used WSPR with some success in this situation (Buddipole dipole inside the room), because it can work at about 14 dB lower power (20 times lower)
than even weak CW.  JT65A doesn't have as big an advantage as WSPR, but will work with about 4 times less power than CW.  Small/portable antennas and low
power make a good fit with digital modes, for those who want to use them.  WSPR and some other digital modes require a netbook computer, at about 3 pounds,
although some people have reported using PSK31 with an iPhone.  MFSK16, at 45 words per minute, can work at about the same minimum power level as CW.
While I haven't tried it, some people have reported using speech to text software to avoid having to use a keyboard to enter text in digital modes.

I think it might soon be possible to use an iPhone with Dragon Dictate, which is being used to paste text into the SMS interface.  I-PSK31 doesn't allow
pasting of text right now, but the iPhone is multi-tasking, so perhaps before long.  With a little ingenuity, HF walk and talk may be possible with digital
modes without 3 pounds of computer and interface.

Thank you.
Charles Preston