From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2010 09:03:31 -0500
Just catching up on the list so this message response is about 2
weeks old, but A large number of those Channel 2 signals are in
Northern Mexico. I have never yet heard Cuba from Oklahoma on
Channels 2-6 but there is supposed to be a Channel 2 in Havana
as well as a Channel 4. My Spanish is not fluent but I can
usually tell what a particular program is about. The Mexican
stations I have heard contain the same mix of soaps, cartoons
and news that we have here. One problem with identifying the
location of some of the transmitters is that they are simply
ports on a larger nation-wide network. The main studios may be
in Mexico City or some other central location but the
transmitter might be in some town right on the US/Mexican
boarder so your DX is coming from there. One that comes to mind
is a movie and entertainment network called "The Channel of the
Stars" or "La Canal De Las Astrias." My apologies to any
Spanish speakers for spelling. I have heard the Channel of the
Stars on at least Channels 2 and 3 at the same time. I did hear
a Channel 5 last Summer which broadcast local programming
announcements and frequently referred to itself as Channel
Sinco. Another thing that is more common outside the US is for
television networks to identify themselves with the local
channel they are on in their headquarters city. They might call
themselves the Nine Network or something like that even if they
may appear on Channel Eleven somewhere. It's confusing.
Sometimes, there will be a local news short and they will
mention towns in the area.

	You may also still hear English from time to time.
Canada isn't supposed to make their digital switch until 2011
and Mexico isn't planning to make their switch until several
more years have passed although Both countries have digital
television stations on the air.

	As to what digital television transmissions sound like
on an analog receiver, they are extremely different sounding.
The US digital signals have a faint steady carrier exactly 310
KHZ above the low edge of the channel. There is absolutely no
usable audio or modulation changes  but you can hear a wide band
of hiss that starts abruptly at the low edge of the channel and
ends abruptly at the high edge of the channel.

	Oklahoma City's Channel 5's digital channel is 7 so you
can hear the hiss start at about 174.1, the faint pilot carrier
is at 174.31 and it is nothing but hiss until you hit the top
end of Channel 7 at which point the hiss drops back down to
background levels.

	I have heard the digital his and carriers on Channels 2
and 3 during E openings. I wonder how much the skip from Canada
and Mexico clobbers those brave US stations who decided to keep
their low VHF channels. Frankly, I think that was a stupid move
since Sporadic E will reduce coverage every time it appears.

	Martin McCormick WB5AGZ