From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2010 12:11:10 -0400
Tom,

Creating a memory group for the Skywarn channels is probably a much better
strategy than trying to use the PM channels for that purpose, especially
since there are only five PM channels and you have 9 locations.  Think of
the PM channels as snapshots of your radio.  Let's say, for example, that
while in your motor home, you operate the radio with the speech volume set
at 5 (to compensate for road noise) and power on both bands set to high.  At
home, you might have the speech volume set to 2, and the power set to
medium.  You could use PM channel 1 for your "on the road" configuration,
and PM channel 2 for your "at home" configuration.

As another example, I have PM channel 1 set up for cross-band repeater
operation, which means that the A radio is set to the 2 meter call channel
which I've programmed to 147.51, low power.  The B radio is set to one of
the memories which points to a 440 repeater, and the radio is on high power.
The B radio is the active radio, which is the way you have to do it for
operating crossband as I've set it up.  I also have the speech set for auto
announce (the default mode) when I use the radio this way.  Normally, I set
the speech to manual because I don't want it to say everything, and I use
the A radio as the transmitter.  To get the radio back into this state, I
select PM off.  I still have to activate the crossband function, but using
the PM channel eliminates the need to set up the frequency, power, and
speech settings for the radios.

I hope my examples have helped to clarify the purpose of the PM channels,
and possibly given you some ideas of how you might use them for your
operations.  As is so often the case with these things, the best way to
understand them is to experiment.  Have fun, and let me know if I can answer
any more questions.

Steve