From:
Peter Ekkerman SC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 2009 17:27:07 -0700
Hi Rob,

I had some notes regarding this -turned into a big post :) -hope you
find it useful.

Direct answer: Cons are :
1.Updates that you have previously excluded for various reasons,
   will now be installed ,whether you need them, want them or not.
IOW, if you have excluded some updates in the past (before SP3 came out)
because you either didn't need them or you knew that they were not
compatible with your system, be it hardware or software,
SP3 will install those, whether you like it or not.

2.Some may cause conflicts with existing software or hardware and
drivers.
Quote: " Some third-party programs experience a change in functionality
after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309

3.Deletes the Address bar from available Toolbars on the Taskbar
   (R-click Taskbar > Toolbars )

4.Be aware that SP3 comes with IE6 - However, if you have IE6 now,
there's
no change. If you have IE 7 now, it will be supported, but you won't be
able to
uninstall IE7.
You will be able to un-install IE7 if you're upgrading from IE6  to
IE7,with
SP3 installed.
Quote : "Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer
If you have installed Windows Internet Explorer® 7 or a beta version of

Internet Explorer 8, and then install Windows XP SP3, you cannot
uninstall
Internet Explorer.
To avoid this, ensure Internet Explorer 7 or a beta version of Internet
Explorer 8 is not installed before installing Windows XP SP3.
If you have already encountered this issue, uninstall Windows XP SP3,
uninstall Internet Explorer, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3.

5.Security has been increased in several areas, which may cause some
files
not being opened, unless unblocked (see recent post on PCSOFT -MS
Publisher
2003)

Basically, you could say that you're between a rock and a hard place.
On one hand support for XP +SP2 ends on Jul 13-2010
Lifecycle Supported Service Packs
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifesupsps
Windows XP Service Pack 2 Service Pack Retired 7/13/2010
Microsoft Support Lifecycle
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?C2=1173

On the other hand, millions of people are very happily running
XP,XP+SP1,XP+SP1a,
XP+SP2. (Not to forget Win2000,ME and Win98)
It all depends on your requirements, possible- or real conflicts with
existing
software or hardware and how concerned or paranoid one is about
security.

Don't forget that the vast majority of the security updates are for
vulnerabilities that have never been exploited.
The typical sentence in many of them is this:
" When this security bulletin was issued, had Microsoft received any
reports
that this vulnerability was being exploited?
No. Microsoft had not received any information to indicate that this
vulnerability had been publicly used to attack customers and had not
seen
any examples of proof of concept code published when this security
bulletin
was originally issued."
Example - a recent update KB956844
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS09-046.mspx

BTW -you'll have to dig for the paragraph I quoted, because it's buried
in
a maze of info, but you'll find it here: Vulnerability Information >
DHTML
Editing Component ActiveX Control Vulnerability - CVE-2009-2519 > FAQ
for
DHTML Editing Component ActiveX Control Vulnerability - CVE-2009-2519 >
At
the very bottom of the FAQs
I found the majority of Security Updates to carry that very same
paragraph !!!!

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't update, but the security hype is
way over the top.
Also, vendors of security software are in on that game too for obvious
reasons.

Anyway -if and when you decide to "take the plunge" , you may want to
take note
of the info below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/
Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=68C48DAD-BC34-40BE-8D85-6BB4F56F5110&displaylang=en
Information about Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929
List of fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480/

In addition to the above steps prior to SP3 install:
 Do a thorough cleanup of your system.
Resolve outstanding problems or errors - check Event Viewer.
Do a complete AV and Anti-Malware scan.
Either set a Restore Point or preferably create a restorable, bootable
image
 of your drive or partition.
If the SP3 update fails or otherwise causes problems that cannot be
resolved
by updating drivers or software, >  uninstall SP3 or restore the backup
image.

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

Interesting article ;)
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9026940/How_to_make_Windows_XP_last_for_the_next_seven_years

Peter E,