BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2011 08:24:44 -0500
7bit
From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
During that era classical columns were made individually by hand for
each building project. While there may have been small shops that
specialized in such fancy work, the big manufacturers with mass
production methods did not develop until after the Civil War. Dispite
your dis-inclination to think so, they were probably made onsite or very
near by. I have researched this specific question for three cases over
the years and this has been the case in every one. They were all built
during the same era in the hinterlands of Maine, Alabama and Ohio.

Just because a locale is in its early development period does not
necessarily mean that there were no craftsmen or artisans on hand
looking for work. After all, if the place attracted a moneyed elitist
easterner, it was also attracting the hungry eager artisan. My reading
and experience growing up in Nebraska suggests that during the
mid-western expansion high culture came right along with with the
earliest settlers and was expressed in their building as soon as they
could afford it.

 From the preface of a 19th century reprint that I just stumbled across:
  "THE fact that there is a demand for the works of Vignola, in this
country, sufficient to warrant the publication of this volume, is an
additional evidence of the truth of the saying: 'art has no frontiers.' "

John
(not an architectural historian, but my 8th-great grandfather did
translate and publish "The Regular Architect", the first folio English
translation of Vignola's "Five Orders of Architecture (no kidding,
although it was an earlier era, 1669))