C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:00:39 -0600
Nalin,

In my case, music therapy was used as a supplemental therapy to OT.  I was
taught how to play a dulcimer with an adapted "stick" that I held in my left
hand.  It didn't work really well for that, but the unanticipated benefit of
re-learning to read music - I'd played piano (poorly) when I was younger is
what probably helped with math, and spatial relationships.  It didn't feel
like I was being "taught" something I felt I should already know.  The music
that I learned was quite simple - One handed compositions with limited
chording, but it proved to be a tremendous motivator, in that it showed me
that not only could I re-learn new ways of doing things I'd done before, I
could learn things I'd never tried before.  Since I was 16 at the time, that
was vital to my rehab. process.  I don't really know of specific studies tht
support this, but I'm sure they exist.

Kendall

--

Kendall