From:
Michael Eisenstadt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 2009 13:23:51 -0500
Dave Gillett wrote:

> Since it runs fine in Safe Mode, I think your problem must be
with one of the additional driers that loads only when you run
in Normal Mode.

>  Have any of your drivers been updated recently?  If so, you
might try rolling them back to the previous driver version, or
System Restore.

> (Automatic Updates has been known to deliver and install
drivers for slightly different hardware than is actually
installed....)

I have Automatic Updates disabled.

Thanks Dave and the other posters for helping me deal with
this problem. I now am pretty sure it's not a hardware
problem. I turned off the variable speed cpu fan option
last night and Standard Mode stopped locking up. The
temp of the "new" cpu needs more than the 2600 rpm
that kept the older cpu sufficiently cool.

My network card which I had uninstalled BEFORE querying
PCBuild will not reinstall. The error message reads
"Unable to install InstalShield Scripting Runtime," Error
1607. I suspect that this would be a virus using the
autorun.inf file name. So I have to get the recommended
Superantispyware and Malwarebytes-Antimalware programs,
which were recommended in this thread, from the
computer I am typing from to the afflicted computer. Which
I will try to do ASAP.  I am resisting installing a new hd in
the problem computer, which was also suggested, as I am
considering assembling a new computer.. I have to confess
that I built this computer for the project of playing Flight
Simulator. The "new" cpu does increase frame rate considerably
althought It is not fast enough to run the latest (and last)
version of Flight Simulator.

The respondants who suspected overheating were right.
(But why would Safe Mode NOT crash?).

Michael Eisenstadt
Austin Texas

                     support at our newest website: