BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2010 16:23:31 -0400
Ken:

Keeping a core bit in the middle of a 30" wide brick masonry wall,
which surely has voids, brick rubble, and mortar slop in the core, for
40 FEET, seems like something that just isn't going to happen.  And
then there will be the water and core drilling muck damage to the wall
when this stuff seeps out of the open mortar joint, the crack, or
wherever it can.  In theory, and also in practice, one could monitor
where the end of the bit is, especially if you have enough money.  Use
acoustic emission and a string of geophones.  I am not giving you a
quote, but this monitoring should cost about $7-10,000, especially if
the person with the equipment tags onto your insurance.  In reality,
they need a better plan -  one that doesn't involve drilling down the
wall.  How about a pipe on the wall?  That could be done for $500 or
less.

Steve Stokowski
Stone Products Consultants