From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 11:02:19 -0500
	Has anybody seen a description of the way the Kenwood
TM-71 2-meter transceiver communicates with the RS-232 port on a
computer?

	I have the correct cable but use Linux so the
Windows-based software is useless. I have found protocols for
other equipment that use RS-232 control but so far, I have hit a
wall in finding a description of what serial commands the
Kenwood needs.

	So far, the Uniden BC780 scanner is the easiest to
control from the computer. You almost can set everything except
for squelch and volume which can not be accessed via computer,
but one can read the display and virtually push all the buttons
from the computer.

	I did find a good enough description of Icom's serial
protocol to be able to make an ICR75 go to a desired frequency
and mode but the protocol is a little more involved than that of
the BC780.

	If you know how to talk to the TM-71, I am interested
and am willing to share what I find out.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer