From:
tom behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2010 07:25:54 -0700
Hi, all.

I don't know if putting a ground rod in will solve this problem, but the XYL
and I have a very weird RFI issue that I'd like some feedback on.

This happened even before I got my Ameritron amplifier, when I was trying to
tune up my Alpha Delta DXCC antenna on 80 meters and even certain other
bands.

Specifically, sometimes, when I transmit, I disable our Toshiba TV, and have
trouble getting it going again.  The TV is in another room, and on a
completely different circuit than the ham set-up.

Yesterday evening, when we tried turning the TV on, we couldn't get anything
at all to happen.  And, now, here's the really weird part:  the TV wasn't
even on when I did the blind hams net and was using the amplifier.

Sometimes, if I play with it enough, I can get the TV to turn back on, but
so far, no luck today!

My theory is that there's some sort of protective circuit in the TV that
shuts things down when it senses the slightest bit of RF or something it
doesn't like.

We scoured the manual for the TV, and can find no re-set button.

Any suggestions anyone has for trying to resurrect the TV would be
appreciated.

I just hate to take it into some service center, and have them charge me an
arm and a leg for something that may be fixable on this end.

73 from Tom Behler:  KB8TYJ