Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2010 14:39:21 -0400
7bit
Sender:
From:
This reminiscing is fun.

I got my Novice WN8NHW on July 9, 1964.  I borrowed a friend's DX-35 xmitter
and worked mainly forty with xtals for 7161 and 7169; I think I had another
Crystal for 15 meters, but I didn't get on that band much.  I think it
pretty much closed up at night during the school year, as I think 1964 was
the bottom of a cycle.

Later that year, my parents purchased a rebuilt NC-300 which replaced an old
Heathkit GR-91 which I think might have been a regenerative receiver.  The
300 ran circles around it.

I didn't pass my Conditional until the summer of 1966 so I received my new
call, WA8VAA in September and got a Viking Invader transmitter to use with
the 300 receiver.

By then, the upper HF bands were pretty active, I worked quite a bit on 20,
15 and 10 just using a trap dipole.

I think the most exciting moment for me was working California on 40 CW a
few months after I got my Novice ticket.  I remember staying up pretty late
until the band was long enough for me to work them.  My antenna was only 20
feet up so it didn't hear very well under most circumstances.

Steve, K8SP