From:
Michelle Vychodil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Vychodil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2010 17:09:36 +0000

Many people were interested in this issue. It sounds like there are several reputable labs with information online. And others suggested a few books for more information. I did the Carroll Food Intolerance test from my Naturopath which "analyzes a person's blood to determine enzyme compatibility with particular food groups or combinations of foods. This is different from allergy testing, which determines antigen/antibody immune responses." (http://www.salmoncreekclinic.com/carroll_method.html).  It's true that it identified foods that I am intolerant to, but it did not find other foods which also affect me. So I am looking for a more comprehensive test.
--
Dr. Kenneth Fine at Enterolab.com has the best tests for foods in my opinion. They are not allergy tests but tests for  IgA reactions to food proteins. It shows whether or not one has an autoimmune attack against their own mucous membrane tissues which of course are all over your body. They perform a stool test that is shown to be extremely accurate and less evasive than the other tests. (Recommended by several people)
--
There are two types of tests that allergists generally use:  skin prick and RAST (blood) tests.  Both have high rates of false positives which is why allergists suggest that you do a complete history with them as well.  I recommend two references that might help you:  The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN) at www.foodallergy.org<http://www.foodallergy.org> and the book Food Allergies for Dummies by Dr. Robert Wood, an allergist at Johns Hopkins who is an authority in this field.  Even with the high rates of false positives in these tests, I would not rely on any other tests that various doctors pedal.  I say this as the parent of an 18 year old who is severely allergic
(anaphylaxis) to milk, eggs and wheat.
--
In addition to regular allergy tests (prick tests and Elissa blood tests), Immunolabs and ALCAT have food toxicity tests.
--
My NP used the Vega test.  There are reports that it is only 70% accurate, but I found it to be dead on.  It is non-invasive so it would be great for your daughter.