From:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2010 00:33:27 -0400
Hi Howard,

Here is my 2 cents on coax connectors.  This is for rg8 type coax.  First
those coax cutters sound great, but I don't own one so I just use old wire
cutters.  Put the sleeve of the connector on first or you'll have to do this
job twice.  I line the tip of the center pin of the connector up with the
end of the coax cable and cut off the outer insulation just behind where the
threads are on the body of the connector.  I remove just the outer covering
over the braded shield.  I just use a jack knife to do this.  I then fold
the braid back over the covering.  I then cut the insulation off the center
conductor about one half inch from my first cut using the same jack knife.

It is sometimes very hard to get all of the center conductor wires in to the
center pin if your using flexible coax, but with a little playing, it can be
done.  Solid center conductor is no problem.

After I've folded the shield over the outer covering, and removed the
insulation from the center conductor, I work the center conductor in to the
center pin of the connector and once I'm sure that all wires have gone in to
the center pin, I simply screw the coax connector on to the coax shield that
is folded over the outer cover.  Remember that there are threads inside of
the connector to accept rg58 adaptors.  I screw the body of the connector on
to the coax cable until it tightens.  At this point the center conductor
should be sticking out slightly from the center pin of the connector.  I
first check the connector for a short    , and then I solder the center pin
and I'm done.

There's another idea for you, Howard!

Bob Tinney, K8LR, [log in to unmask]
Skype, bobtinn
Life is full of challenges, that's what makes it interesting!