From:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2010 22:03:26 -0700
That is a great story.  I wish my dad had been as thoughtful as your mother.
I took my test before I left for the fall term at the Idaho School for the
Blind and Deaf and never heard a thing from my dad about my license.  When I
came home for a teachers' holiday around Columbus day in October I first
asked my dad if I'd heard from the FCC.  He said, "oh, yes.  There's an
envelope right here."

I got him to open it and there was my license with WN7KXR on it.  I
immediately called my Elmer who came right over with twin lead, wire and
some coax along with a 2 by 4 and a 2 by 2.  He built a little mast for me
out of those pieces of wood and stapled the twin lead to it building me a
folded Marconi for 80 meters which was all I had for a rig.  I had petted
that little radio all summer while I was studying for my license and with
his help put it on the air that same night I got home.  What a thrill to
call my first CQ and get an answer from a local ham who was also blind.  He
took a lot of time and exhibited a lot of patience with my slow code but
what a QSO that was.

About a week later, at the school, on a Sunday, I had just gotten back from
church and lunch and was standing in my room in my underwear changing
clothes when my Elmer along with about four other guys from Boise where I
lived showed up with my radio and makings for an antenna.  They put it up
and I was on the air that night from the school and never looked back.  Some
times now when I find it difficult to find help for myself or others, I
remember those guys driving over 100 miles to get a young, high school
freshman on the air and it reminds me what this hobby is all about.

Thanks for sharing your story Phil and very 73.

Kevin :)
Amateur Radio:  K7RX