From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2010 12:39:56 -0400
you don't, you get 900 MHz equipment, there is no 800 MHZ equipment that
will go to 900 MHz except the maxtrac radios which will work as the repeater
receiver only, in the 902 MHz range, but that's it and the maxtrac is a
complete waste of time and money on 900 MHz because you need to change
filtering and do a lot of hardware mods to it. Real 900 MHz radios are the
best way to go, the GTX900, LCS2000, MCS2000, all motorolas btw, kenwood
tk981 version 2, EF Johnson has a couple I don't know the model numbers off
hand, those all mobiles. My 900 MHz repeater is a real repeater, built as a
repeater, MSF5000 Motorola, you can't beat them but we walked in to a deal
on these the average person normally would never afford them even on the
used market. We really walked in to a deal on these, and the average person
would never move one either. Best bet is either a GTX900 pair for a
repeater, or if you can find a maxtrac one all made up do that but you're
talking serious bucks by the time you have it done, then there's hardline,
no lmr400 on 900 MHz repeaters, I wouldn't use it at my house for my 900 MHZ
radio if I had a choice and soon I will have a choice since I'm in the
process of moving, you need  good location and antenna. It's not plug and
play believe me, generally. The equipment is cheap enough, but go get it
setup as a repeater, it gets expensive fast to do it right and on 900 MHz,
if you don't do it right, you're wasting your efforts though it really is a
great band. I love the band, none of the 2 meter problems up there and since
all equipment is commercial and usually there are only a few people with the
programming equipment and software, you have a good idea who's on and who's
not so if there is a problem, you generally should know where to point the
finger, or someone will know.