From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:47:27 -0500
I don't know enough about the FT-450 to answer your HRD questions.  Since I
have to reduce power from 100 watts to 50 or so to drive my amp, and have to
tune the 950 up into the different input impedance of the amp, compared to
my antennas, I can't quite picture doing without real knobs on a radio
that's in front of me.  If you're not planning to drive an amp as part of
your remote station, you may want to leave the power at a particular setting
at all times.  With the 950, HRD will read me the current frequency if I
press the Enter key with the mouse pointer almost anywhere on the screen.
This is for entering a new frequency; you can press Escape to cancel the
frequency entry.

I used to have the CS button set so that it would point to the noise
reduction item on the menu.  But the FT-950's noise reduction doesn't do
very much, according to my ears.  Now, with my amp working, I have CS
pointed at TX Power Output, which is menu item 111 out of 118 for the 950.
HRD conveniently displays "RF Power" near the bottom of its window, which it
doesn't do for most of the other menu adjustments.  (It does display an
S-meter reading on the screen, however).  To get into the menus, you
activate Advanced, then move your mouse pointer down to the group of items
you want to adjust, and left click on that group name.  This opens another
list for those menu items, and you left-click or right-click on one of
those.  I am confused right now about how to reliably change a setting.  For
some controls there is a Close button, and for others there is not.  Do I
hit Escape or Alt-Space, C to close that control and apply a setting?  When
I was going to ask questions about this interface issue on the HRD support
BBS, which uses a web-based e-mail interface, I couldn't see where to write
my question.  I don't have time to solve all these problems all at once.
And yes, this is with Window-Eyes 7.11.
Hope this helps.
73,
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls