Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2013 01:15:19 -0700
  I bought a netbook about 3.5 years ago, and have been very satisfied
with it.  Recently, I saw an opportunity to pick up another, broadly
comparable but with twice the hard drive capacity for half the
pricetag....

  One of the first upgrades I'd like to perform on the new machine is to
replace the stock 1GB DDR SO-DIMM RAM module with a 2GB unit.  I ordered
one at the same time as the machine, but it appears to be DOA -- the
screen remains dark with that module installed, instead of booting...

  Well, when I want quality RAM, I order from Crucial.  Their website
has a really nice feature -- pick the make and model of your computer,
and they recommend the part(s) that they guarantee will be compatible.

  The new netbook is a Gateway LT4010u, which isn't actually listed.  As
I understand it, it's a minor improvement on the LT4008u, which is, and
shares many components with it.  If I select that latter model, the site
recommends a 2GB SO-DIMM module exactly as expected.

  My problem is that they also list "LT40 series notebook" as a model
choice, and that too gets a recommendation of a 2GB SO-DIMM module.  All
of the listed specs of the two modules appear identical to me (even the
price) -- EXCEPT for the part number.
  Am I missing some tiny but crucial difference between these two
modules?  If so, how do I know which one is right?

David Gillett

                         support at our website:
                          http://freepctech.com