From:
Bill Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:21:15 -0500
Greetings;

Regarding RAM failing after time, I have seen it happen a few times over the
20 years I have been repairing computers (both professionally and lately as
a hobby), but it has been one of the less-likely occurrences in my
experience. The defective memory I have most often dealt with has been new.
I have used the Microsoft free memory testing software;

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

numerous times and it once said that I had bad RAM. The computer worked well
after replacing it, so I must assume that the program is useful. Other than
reading online reviews, that is my only experience with it. Hope this is
helpful and good luck.

Bill

>> There's also a faint possibility that if the HP is more than 3 years old,
>> RAM night be failing. The timing could be just coincidence. That's pretty
>> unlikely though.
>
> Background:
> When I get an HP Laptop the first thing I do is replace all the RAM with
> good
> quality third party larger sizes. (*Maxing out* the machine when new...)
>
> My question is as follows.
> I thought *quality* RAM pretty much lasted forever after the burn-in
> period
> was over? ( I hoped HP gave quality RAM.)
> OR (an important distinction) is this more of a problem with the sockets
> or the
> MB in general?
>
> I have only seen bad RAM once, and I think I was wrong about *it* even
> then... ;-(
> As always, YMMV (and mine too).
>
> Rick Glazier

                     support at our newest website: