From:
Peter Ekkerman SC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 10:14:23 -0700
Hi Norman,

Thanks for the feedback.
You wrote:" ......I tried to blame her for the failures, but, one never
wins such arguments."

Yes,true and it isn't worth it either.
Consider this : CD/DVD players are inexpensive,even more so than
burners.
But let's say you bought a burner and the price is $50 - I've bought for
much less on a sale,like $25 -$30
Let's stick with the $50  and assume it'll last 1 year > that's 14
cents/day incl. electricity to run it.
I know that's an old sales trick to justify any purchase ,but you get
the point ;)

You may also consider a stand-alone CD/DVD player - I picked one up (on
a sale for under $30 progressive scan.plays  all formats.
A simpler CD player can be had for about $ 15 or so.
Connected to TV or stereo amp or computer ,as the case may be.
Won't interfere with computer if not connected to it ;)

Hugh Vandevoort suggested to rip the CDs and store on hard drive and
play with Winamp.
That is of course another good option.

There are many of these programs available,from very simple to the ones
that contain all the bells and whistles.
Simple one eg. 1by1 http://mpesch3.de1.cc/1by1.html  There are even
smaller like Trayplayer.

It all depends what you want.The gist of all of the above ,is that there
are many options available.

* As to the install in an open bay with more air circulation - that
would certainly help.

Peter E.