From:
Peter Ekkerman SC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2009 12:15:31 -0700
Hi Norman,

Sorry you're having so much trouble with your DVD burners.
On one hand you can relax - IMHO , there's no such thing as "bad vibes"
;)
Bad luck is either created by a person's own actions, like
neglect,carelessness etc  or it is just the luck of the draw ;)
can't fight that one.

Things that affect or reduce the lifespan of a burner are:
Assembly - using inferior components and careless assembly.
Handling prior to purchase or installation - rough handling will damage
some components.
Handling while installing - again rough handling will affect
lifespan,plus static induced damage from touching
    the circuit board.May not be enough to cause instant failure,but may
set it up for reduced lifespan.
Very frequent use.
Overheating from not getting enough cooling - obviously very important
during continuous or very frequent usage.
Corrosive or very dusty environment.Close proximity to a salt water
source like an ocean (living on a boat ;)
    will cause early failure.

I would sortof rule out overvoltage as the cause,since that would have
caused damage to other components and devices.
Nevertheless, do a voltage check on the powersupply and the DVD power
connector.

That's all I came up with for now -there may well be more,but the above
is from personal experience.

Peter E
PS Hope you have better luck with your Samsung burner ;)