BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 2010 08:12:57 -0400
On 4/25/2010 6:44 AM, John Leeke wrote:
>> real nice John, as always, thank you for sharing
>> I am now reminded of my early fascination with cotter pins
>
> My dad had a cigar box of cotter pins too, 4-inchers right on down to
> 1/2-inchers. As I think about it now, his wide variety of hardware
> must have come from WWII surplus from the bomber plant where he worked
> a taught during the war, at Offit Airfield, Belleview, Nebraska, near
> Omaha.
John,

My early cotter pin epiphany came about through the confluence of my
interest in sitting on the ground and digging in the dirt and my earlier
experience of sorting nails from sawdust on the floor of my
grandfather's workshop. Our rural bus stop was a barn. The lower portion
of the barn served as a plumber's workshop. In time, for a brief time
the barn in early manifestation of adaptive re-use was an exotic pet
store, which led to our inheriting a kinkajou, and then it became a
nightclub. People may have lived in the barn off and on over the years.
It was on a main road into Ithaca. I have no idea what the barn is used
for today or if it even still exists. But back to cotter pins.

The plumber also worked on washing machines and other mechanical devices
and behind the barn he dumped various pieces of broken or salvaged
equipment. As kids, and digging in the dirt, always exploring, and
inspired by the taboo of digging through some strangers junk, I came
across a mess of cotter pins. I thought that they were fairly odd,
different sizes, not at all like nails or screws. I had no clue at the
time what they were for but I dutifully made a collection. In hindsight
I presume the plumber had a bad day and dumped his cotter pin collection
in the dirt and for whatever reason did not want to sort them up again.

Eventually I found out what they are used for. I have always enjoyed
them for their simplicity of design and applicability to a small task.
Considering Witold Rybczynski's book on screws I await the appearance of
the definitive history of the cotter pin book.

][<en