From:
Derek Buchanan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:22:30 -0400
Gregg,
   This might just be a shot in the dark, but did the converter cable
you are using come with a diskette or CD with a driver on it?  I used
a similar setup but it was on a Windows 98 machine and I had to load a
driver to make it work properly.  I don't think you should have to do
that with XP if the manufacturer is going by IEEE standards.  (I am no
expert on that.)  One more thing to check is for is that USB Emulation
is turned on in the BIOS.  That has solved boot issues, scanner
problems, and the occassional cable connection problem for me.  I
believe that the setting is under the Post Behaviour section.

hope that helps,
Derek

P.S.
One other thing to check if people get new laptops from Dell is the
bios to see if you can set the power ration on the USB ports.  I know
the Dell E6400 laptops do that where you set power output to like 25,
50, 75, 100 percent.  I think that is promote savings on battery power
since by default, it is set to 25% from the factory.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Gregg Pfaff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> HP site says there is no special driver for XP PRO that it comes in XP
> already and they don't offer one for download. my printer comes up in the
> driver list in XP PRO, but it doesn't work when I install it that way. I
> tried all the USB ports and they are enabled. I did the windows update also
> with no luck. My computer recognizes that the converter cable(device) is
> plugged in to the USB port but doesn't recognize the printer. I guess I'll
> have to invest in a new printer?
> Thanks,
> Gregg

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,