From:
Peter Ekkerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 2012 13:52:08 -0500
Hi Peter,

This looks like Pete and rePete (g)

Thanks for your consideration to provide this feedback.

I became aware of this resource many years ago.

While it doesn't provide the full printer install files as originally provided

by the manufacturer ,it will often help to install the driver(s) so you'll

get the device to a working state.

In principle ,you should be able to get them via Windows Update ,but I don't

have a good experience with that.

Mind you, in this case one has to be careful not to pursue "flogging a dead horse".

Brother hasn't directly provided drivers for this model for years and relied on M$ to include

drivers on the install CD.

Realities:

Without prejudice ,the HL-630 is (now) an ancient model that first came out in 1995 or so.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-16439579.html

Power without an off switch. (Brother International's HL-630 laser printer) (Hardware Review) (Evaluation)

 Computer Shopper

March 1, 1995 | Busch, David D. | Copyright

I don't know when manufacture of this model was discontinued, but it might well be

around 2000.(possibly even earlier)

Drivers were still provided via the Windows install CD as late as Vista,

but didn't provide the full functionality that the original printer software provided.

I realize that people develop an affinity with their printers ,but there is a time to let go.

You're faced with a couple of choices:

1.Try to make it work with available drivers. (in my view ,doubtful for a Win7 -64 bit machine)

   However, it might just work with the drivers from Windows catalog ,

   but most likely with limited functionality.

2. Use a machine and OS that the printer worked on last.

3. If possible - machine permitting - install that OS (XP ?) in a dual boot configuration.

4. Install that OS in a Virtual Machine and install the printer there.

   This could be Virtual PC (for selected Win7 versions) or VPC200,7 VMWare or VirtualBox.

   All provided they will run on Win7-64.

5.If none of the above work ,donate the printer to someone that still uses eg XP,

   if that's what this printer works fine on.

Regardless , one is still faced with the dwindling supply of toner cartridges , let alone

the same for a drum assy.

Interesting twist -not cheap : Zinstall

http://www.zinstall.com/home-users/products/zinstall-xp7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK41FUHgPys&feature=player_embedded