BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2010 21:56:55 -0700
For a upcoming museums conference, I am preparing a presentation about the
danger of fires initiated by pyrophoric carbon, especially in aged
buildings.   The topic is relevant since so many museums are housed in old
(historic) buildings, and historic sites are most often based on old
buildings.   A variety of heat sources may cause the problem, with
documented fire evidence from hot water pipes and electric heaters installed
in walls.

I am seeking examples of fires started by pyrophoric carbon in historic
buildings.   Anyone heard of such?   Any suggestions of organizations that
may have info or studies of examples, especially in historic structures?

Pyrophoric Carbon - fascinating topic.  Thought it was an urban myth when
the firemen said that the wood in the 1850s Farmhouse I am now working on
was so old it just began to burn on its own.   Turns out there is actually a
special situation that really puts wooden structures at risk when all
conditions are right.   It involves the carbonization of wood exposed to a
relatively low level of heat for a long time.

cp in bc
(happy for cross postings)