BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:20:57 -0400
The house my dad built for us in Lincoln, Nebraska, in 1950 had a metal
Youngstown kitchen cabinet set. The counter top was black linoleum. It
was much thicker than typical floor lino, nearly 1/4". According to a
label inside one of the cupboard doors it had two interesting
properties: Self-healing, and Antiseptic. If you slightly cut the lino
with a knife, the cut would heal back together. The top was cut and fit
custom onsite, but thinking back it must have been a kit of all the
materials needed, with narrow stainless steel mouldings at edges, etc.
The front edge rolled over and up underneath. The countertop was still
in good serviceable condition when we sold the house in 2001, that's
half a century, plus. There were just two small dings in the top. One
where a meat cleaver was dropped on it, and another where a gas-flame
experiment on the gas range got out of hand--I had nothing to do with
that, I swear, nothing, Richard did it, not me.

Johnny (don't tell my mom) Leeke