BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
deb bledsoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 2009 11:31:13 -0500
Gabriel Orgrease wrote:

*Amazing what grandmothers knew.
I thought so too on the dendelions but it was only 2 weeks ago that I
had them. Possibly the cultivated ones have a different life cycle than
the wild.*

Whole new histo-presto subject! Heirloom foods!

We have an organic demonstration garden here, where we allow to grow,
heirloom greens brought to this country by our foremothers for their
kitchen gardens. Includes mostly what folks think of as "weeds", including:

dandelion
chicory
chickweed
cress
lamb's quarters
plantain
various "wild" mints
star anise

and I'm sure many others I don't even recognize. Dandelions are
producing right now, in little clusters, and will until hard freeze.
Then they'll be one of the first to produce in the spring - I've seen
them after a couple sunny days even with snow on the ground.

I always laugh about how hard it is to get the students who help with
our garden to distinguish between the weeds and the "weeds."

~deb