From:
Phyllis J Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phyllis J Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2010 02:38:18 -0400

Any recommendations for a Celiac Aware Neurologist who takes BCBS insurance and is located between Houston and Dallas?  I would consider traveling or internet office visits if necessary.

Prior to knowing I had Celiac Disease, and thus NOT ON A GF DIET,  I lost hearing in my right ear in 2003 which was diagnosed after a full work up (abnormal Brain and heart MRI, normal lumbar puncture, lots of hearing tests)  as a stroke.

However my family doctor and neurologist argued about the situation with my family doctor stating that he had NEVER seen a stroke in a patient with NO FAMILY history of heart problems and an average blood pressure of 100/60.  The neurologist won the argument by reminding him that should it reoccur he could be sued.

I was then placed on all typical cardiac type medications like cholesterol lowering medication (total cholesterol was 180 at the time), Plavix to thin my blood, and aspirin for blood thinning and to help reduce the side effects of Niacin to raise my HDL (was about 29 at the time).

Shortly there after and due to the ill health of my grandchildren, Celiac was identified and consequently I have been GF since late in 2004.  I also have about 5 other autoimmune diseases.

Within a few years of taking all the medications, my platelets started dropping (the part the the blood that makes your blood clot). My family doctor felt it was ITP which is a low platelet count for unknown reasons. I recently had to be hospitalized for platelet transfusion.  My new hematologist has decided I must come off Plavix and Aspirin due to the threat of spontaneous bleeds.  It has been about 10 days and seems to be healing my platelet production and "stickiness".

My concern at this time is...what really is my risk for future stroke without some type of blood thinning?  In my research, I think the elevated calcium deposits found in my brain and heart could have been related to untreated Celiac and thus staying GF may be enough to reduce the risk for a more serious stroke.

Thanks for any assistance you can give!  Phyllis