From:
Karen Tambasco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen Tambasco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 2010 21:04:35 -0400

Hi Everyone-

I got home this evening from my trip to Myrtle and wanted to summarize our
trip finds for Gluten free.  Some of you asked that I summarize and forward
to you- so if you need any other detail please let me know.

We traveled the western route to get there as we wanted to see friends in
High Point, NC so we spent a night in Beckley, WV before moving on to NC.-
our hotel was in the parking lot of an Outback Steakhouse.  The timing and
location, couldn't have been better. As always we ordered from the GF menu
for my daughter. However, after ordering, both my daughter and I were
concerned that the waiter didn't "get it".. so I asked a server passing by
to send over the manager to see if he/she would take ownership of the meal.
Our waiter approached and promptly asked if there was a problem. I told him
no, but I had a concern regarding the order and wanted to speak to a
manager. ( I think he was afraid he was in trouble). The manager approached
finally as I finished this conversation, told her my concern, and she said
she would definitely go take care of it. After having checked the meal she
came back and told me about all the precautions they had taken. They mixed
her a fresh salad to make sure they had eliminated cross contamination with
croutons, the cook to the initiative to cook her hamburger on foil to
eliminate cross contamination on the grill with bread - gave her a baked
potato plain( she doesn't like the fancy stuffed ones). and her salad. It
was a plain meal, but she was happy and felt better to reassured that her
meal was fine.  The initial impression was, "this isn't good, but it turned
out fine."

Once we reached Myrtle, there were a few options for chains that carry GF
menu's- Carrabba's, Outback. However, we had the most fun at Margaritaville,
(Broadway at the Beach) a Jimmy Buffet chain that offers an entire menu with
GF options, including desserts. It is a fun environment with some employees
on stilts making balloon characters for young and old. It was so good, that
my son (non-GF) wanted to go back there for his birthday later in the week.
Jimmy Buffet also offers a chain called, Cheeseburger in Paradise which is
also in Myrtle, which I've been to, but not in Myrtle. Both are very good.
My daughter had the option of a hamburger WITH the bun, and FrenchFries from
a dedicated fryer; all very important criteria to a 10 year old. She also
got a kick out of the pickle which was an entire half of a dill pickle. Life
couldn't have been better. The staff was friendly and the hostess had
communicated to our server before he even got to us that we had a gluten
free menu. As we sat to go through our dining experience the waiter pointed
out to me a family sitting at the next table that was also eating gluten
free.. (the mom, and two sons)  We compared notes and she was thrilled to be
eating at a restaurant that catered to the diet.

Early on in the week it was mentioned that you could possibly purchase GF
foods at a store called Lowe's foods.. the only store I knew of in the
Myrtle Beach area was in the southern area of Myrtle on or near Rte 17-
going out towards a Walmart.   I never had need to go in and see what they
offered, but was told they would carry what was possibly needed. I also
found a few GF items at a Safeway grocery store near our hotel on our way
home in Hanover,MD.(not much but some).

There is also a TBonz, Liberty Steakhouse which also came recommended but we
never made it there.

Thanks!

Karen Tambasco

*******