From:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 2010 21:40:17 -0500

Summary of answers to my question regarding kidney stones and treatment.
Thanks very much for responding.  I am forwarding your answers to my friend.

--Lots of water.

--Back when I had kidney stones (the last one in 1974) I found through
research that one must be sure to get enough magnesium and vitamin B-6. Some
people need more of these two than others. I began taking supplements and
have not had a kidney stone since. Several years later I read that some
M.D.s had discovered the same thing. I had no idea at that time that I was
gluten intolerant. I was diagnosed with that only seven years ago. BTW, too
much magnesium will result in diarrhea. If this happens one knows one should
take a little less.

--I am prone to kidney stones and have never been advised to eat bread! Lots
of ways to get fiber on a gf diet. Cant think of a single thing that has
gluten that I have ever been told to eat...

--Some gluten-free products will say "enriched." Often, this means enriched
with additional vitamins and fiber.

--Hi Janet,  (from Ron Hoggan in Canada)

I hope you are well and enjoying  the spring weather.

      Potassium supplements are usually effective , but the relevant article
I've read is about children on a ketogenic aimed at controlling seizures.
The ketogenic diet increases the risk of kidney stones but potassium
supplements reverse most of that risk.

Sincerely,

Janet Y. Rinehart -- [log in to unmask];

Chairman, Houston Celiac Support Group

www.houstonceliacs.org

Former President, CSA/USA, Inc. -- www.csaceliacs.org

Jefferson Award Winner, May 2008, for public service to celiacs

"If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't
ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in
the same place." -- Nora Roberts, author

*******
*******